Tuesday 8 May 2007

Clever ambient work.

My mates Ross & Becky (who are getting married in August - congrats again guys) saw this in Islington:
It's a replica of Michaelangelo's David with a plinth advertising Florence. Hardly the cleverest use of ambient media ever... Hang on though - why are so many birds hanging around it? Ahhhh - the statue's made of seeds. And that line on the plinth? "Get the best of Florence before it goes." Nice thought, I thought.

Plus point: I like the way the birds act as a living attention-grabber. Lots of Londoners walk past lots of statues without looking - but not ones being viciously attacked by hordes of pigeons.

Minus point: it's possible people will interpret the message badly. i.e. Florence is being ruined by tourists - join in! Maybe that's Cynical Rob talking though...

(Unfortunately their photo doesn't reveal the URL, plus I can find jack about it through Google... otherwise I'd've had comments on the site too. If anyone finds it, let me know.)

No comments: